A great smile often acts as a booster for your self confidence ,and modern cosmetic dentistry has enabled us many advanced procedures to reshape our smile. One such procedure is dental implantology.
If you are missing one or more teeth and wish to eat your favorite foods, increase your chewing ability, and improve your appearance, speech, and self-esteem, then you are a candidate for dental implants. A dental implant replaces the root of a missing tooth and is made from surgical-grade titanium alloy, which is a bio-material metal, to exacting specifications.
Initially, the implant is placed into the jaw bone either immediately after the loss of a tooth, or after an extended period of time. If there is insufficient bone, various bone enhancing procedures can be performed prior to the implant placement. An abutment, which acts as a base for a prosthetic tooth replacement such as a crown, is inserted into the implant at the time of implant placement, or subsequently after a period of healing.
The benefits of using implants are :
- They don’t rely on neighboring teeth for support.
- They are permanent and stable. Because the implant is secured within the jawbone, the replacement teeth look, feel, and function just like your own natural teeth.
- Improved appearance. Dental implants look and feel like your own teeth. And because they are designed to fuse with bone, they become permanent.
- Improved speech. With poor-fitting dentures, the teeth can slip within the mouth causing you to mumble or slur your words. Dental implants allow you to speak without the worry that your teeth might slip.
- Improved comfort. Because they become part of you, implants eliminate the discomfort of removable dentures.
- Easier eating. Sliding dentures can make chewing difficult. Dental implants function like your own teeth, allowing you to eat your favorite foods with confidence and without pain. No more food restrictions.
- Future bone loss from dentures will no longer occur when you have implants.
- Improved self-esteem and confidence. Dental implants can give you back your smile, and help you feel better about yourself.
- Improved oral health. Dental implants don’t require reducing other teeth, as a tooth-supported bridge does. Because nearby teeth are not altered to support the implant, more of your own teeth are left intact, improving your long-term oral health. Individual implants also allow easier access between teeth, improving oral hygiene.
- As a denture wearer you will not have to suffer from the inconvenience of adhesives or dentures insecurely shifting around in your mouth.
- Durability. Implants are very durable and will last many years.
- No extra work involved in their care. They require the same care as real teeth, including brushing, flossing, and regular dental check-ups. With good care, many implants last a lifetime.
- Convenience. Removable dentures are just that; removable. Dental implants eliminate the embarrassing inconvenience of removing your dentures, as well as the need for messy adhesives to keep your dentures in place.